Thursday, September 4, 2008

What a Difference the Vet Makes!!!

Star, feeling just fine after her stitches were removed.



Yesterday we took Star and Cosmo to Moonbrook Veterinary Clinic to see Dr. Prudence Derby. Star had to have her spay stitches out, while Cosmo had the last in his "kitten series" of shots. All around it was a wonderful experience. Dr. Derby, who we had not met when she spayed Star two weeks ago, is such a sweetie to patients and their owners alike! She loves cats, and Maine Coons especially, and was very efficient while being friendly at the same time. Who said bedside manner with pets or people alike means nothing?

Star healed very well and her stitches came out easily, I can't wait for her belly fur to grow back. Cosmo cried a bit with his distemper shot, but was fine. We then had a good discussion about the leukemia shots, which I have conflicting feelings about. She made some good points and her suggestion was that they get the shots and boosters for one year, then no more. This way they would have some immunity IF they ever got outside. I was delighted with her openness on the subject which I think is somewhat controversial. I don't know what I will do however.

She then checked over both cats and proclaimed them very healthy. Cosmo weighed in at 5.6 lbs, which is good for a 4 month old kitten I think. Star weighed 8.5 lbs, she will be a BIG girl!! I am so relieved to have found someone who loves the kitties, is not trying to sell me stuff they don't need, and is considerate to the owners. I would think that anyone would appreciate Dr. Derby.


Cosmo, none the worse for wear after his shot.



No comments: